Items that are below 140 lbs and which meet certain size and packaging constraints qualify for free ground shipping. Promotion valid on combined order values over $199. Promotion does not apply to freight/truck-line or oversized items.Close
The legend of Wilton begins in 1941, when Hugh W. Vogl, a Czech immigrant, founded the vise manufacturing company naming it after the cross street where the original company building was located: Wilton Avenue and Wrightwood Avenue in Chicago, IL. Hugh Vogl designed a 4 vise with a unique patented bullet design known at the time as the 40S Machinist Vise. The fine threaded spindle accurately fit in a horizontal anchored, unbreakable malleable nut. This created an even, central pull, which eliminated dead motion and unnatural strain on the nut. The thread on this vise was completely enclosed keeping it clean from contaminates and well lubricated for years of smooth operation. The steel key built into the base of the main body guides the movable jaw in a precisely broached keyway which is machined to .002 tolerances which eliminates wear and preventing side twist regardless of pressure exerted. From 1941 through 1945, the new Wilton 40S machinist vise was manufactured in Chicago and sold solely to the US Government. Most vises were used in munitions factories or in manufacturing of equipment used during WWII. Wilton Tool Manufacturing stayed at the Chicago location until 1957 when they transitioned to the suburban Schiller Park, Illinois on Irving Park Rd just west of River Rd. The vises were cast with either the Chicago or Schiller Park locations which is one way to best determine production date and location of the vise stamped with month/year on the keyway. In 1970s Wilton had discovered the retail market needed a quality vise line and opened an additional manufacturing facility in Winchester, TN for production of smaller less expensive vise to meet the needs of the hobbist and DIYer. Simultaneously in the Winchester facility, Wilton began manufacturing a metalworking machinery line. The first products in this category were drill presses and bandsaws. In the effort to continue the takeover of the retail vise market, Wilton acquired the Warren Tool Group in late 1990s. With facilities now in three states across the country, Wilton had managed to corner the entire vise market. The Columbian Vise, manufactured in Cleveland, OH was the other “Made In USA” vise and was included in the Warren Tool Company merger. In 2008, Walter Meier brands, JET, Powermatic and Wilton consolidated and relocated their offices to Lavergne TN outside of Nashville from Elgin, IL. They continued to grow and survive through a very difficult financial environment. In 2014, Tenex Capital Management New York City, NY acquired the JET, POWERMATIC AND WILTON brands from Walter Meier and changed the company name to JPW Industries where they continue to grow and outperform their competition with innovative, quality products and services. Throughout all the changes, over 73 years, the original bullet vise designed in 1941 by Hugh Vogl is still the largest selling industrial vise in the marketplace. That’s the meaning of Holding Strong Since 1941.